Friday, December 10, 2010

Christmas snail mail


One of my favorite things about the Christmas season is checking the mail! I even keep a mental record about what day in December we receive the most cards. Last year, it was the 10th--which is why this post is today! Going to our mailbox has become quite an exciting event for our boys too! We love to open cards from family and friends, to see who we know and to hear stories about families and friends who live out of town. It's so much fun to see so many faces hanging on our cabinets and to be thankful for everyone who has touched our lives! It's also a treat just to see the creativity and life behind each card---what the pictures involved, the colors, the designs and how families have changed in a year.

Last year, I remember how stressful it was to get a good Christmas card picture. I remember someone not wanting to sit still and having to resort to using a picture from the beach (which turned out great, but wasn't what I had planned). This year, we got our picture right before Thanksgiving and I was thrilled! Because I had it in advance, I toyed with the idea of making our own Christmas cards. It would save money and it was a way to get some creative energy out! So, I started the process. Once into this project, I realized how absolutely crazy I was to attempt this with a 2 month old, 2 other kiddos and the chaos, that is our new normal. And, I became overwhelmed. Really overwhelmed. However, since I was already into it, timewise and moneywise, I forged ahead--scratch that--I am forging ahead. I still have several more to make, envelopes to stuff and stamps to put on. But, now that I am over halfway done, I am feeling better. Maybe I won't make ours next year. Or maybe I will, because I will be in a different place. Who knows? What I do know, is that Christmas cards are really important to me and our family. We love sharing our family with you and even more, we are delighted to receive yours! If you feel or have ever felt that it's not worth the hassle of getting your Christmas card together----be confident, it is not lost on us. We ADORE your cards--but most importantly, your family!

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

Great post. I love the received cards and cards in progress pics.

ccj

Molly Witherington said...

Love it! This is my favorite thing about December too. Usually I put them all over the kitchen, but we're going for a "sleeker" look with our house on the market and all. In our new house, I am having an entire wall painted with magnetic paint solely for the purpose of displaying Christmas cards! I outsourced this year for the first time ever. Good luck making yours in all that (mostly) fun chaos!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis